Two recent posts to this blog outlined professional development options and provided well-considered advice for those who wish to add new elements and depth to their skills. An additional question to ponder as you consider your career is “When do you need more than a conference or a seminar?” In other words, “When do you need thoroughgoing professional education to advance your career and your effectiveness?”
Jim and Kathy have been kind enough to allow me this forum to present you a comprehensive program designed to enable a new generation of enrollment professionals to rise to prominence on campus and in the field. It is the Leadership in Enrollment Management certificate program at the University of Southern California.
Take a moment to think about what it would take to advance your position as a leader. To do this you would:
- harness the experience, expertise, and advice of the profession’s leaders;
- build a foundation of knowledge across the spectrum of enrollment management policies, practices, organizational structures, and research;
- learn what is expected of a senior campus official;
- engage yourself in case studies featuring discussions with colleagues and the guidance of leaders;
- develop a comprehensive enrollment management portfolio;
- have a network of fellow practitioners to rely on over time; and
- be able to achieve each of these elements online and alongside the work you are doing on your campus.
One year ago, just such a program was created at the University of Southern California’s Center for Enrollment Research, Policy, and Practice, in the form of a 30-week online certificate program in Leadership in Enrollment Management. Taught by recognized leaders and thinkers in the profession, the program is now preparing to award and send forth its first class of certificate holders. Moreover, nominations and applications for the program beginning in Fall 2013 are now being accepted.
You can review program content, meet the faculty, and view an introductory video at http://www.usc.edu/programs/cerpp/Certificate/. Your questions are invited, as is the participation of you and your team.
All the best,
Executive Director and Research Professor
Center for Enrollment Research, Policy, and Practice
University of Southern California
Image © iStockphoto.
About the author: Jerome A. "Jerry" Lucido is professor of research, executive director of the USC Center for Enrollment Research, Policy, and Practice, and Special Advisor to the Provost at the University of Southern California. His areas of expertise include college admissions, higher education access and enrollment management.
Dr. Lucido holds a Ph.D. degree in higher education from the University of Arizona, a M.Ed. degree from Kent State University, and a B.S. degree in business administration from Miami University in Oxford, Ohio.
Connect with Dr. Lucido on LinkedIn.